Spine Surgery Austin
Orthopaedic Specialists of Austin offers comprehensive treatment of the spine. Whether you require a back brace, injection, or complex spine surgery, Dr. Robert Josey and Dr. Michael Moghimi will work to develop the best treatment plan for your orthopedic condition. Like the rest of the OSA team, our spine surgeons believe in providing each patient with customized and thorough care. So if your musculoskeletal difficulty stretches beyond the scope of spine surgery or treatment at our Austin practice to another region of the body, our appropriate hand/wrist/elbow, foot/ankle, total joint replacement, shoulder, or knee/hip doctor(s) will be able to help.
Spine Surgery Procedures
Orthopaedic Specialists of Austin features state-of-the-art facilities, where patients can seek a multitude of orthopedic services, such as spine surgery. Through the guidance of Dr. Josey & Dr. Moghimi, our Austin-based spine specialists, we offer:
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery: Minimally invasive surgery significantly reduces the muscle and tissue damage, lengthy hospital stay, prolonged recovery time, and scarring that are associated with traditional surgery. It is performed using endoscopic techniques.
- Endoscopic procedures: This involves the insertion of a thin, long instrument, or endoscope, retrofitted with a camera, through small incisions to “view” the inside of your body on a monitor. After the procedure is performed, the incisions are closed with sutures.
- Discectomy: This entails the surgical removal of part of the intervertebral disc, which can apply painful pressure to the spinal cord or nerves.
- Laminectomy: This surgical procedure relieves pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots. It is commonly performed for patients with injuries, herniated discs, tumors, or age-related changes in the spine.
- Kyphoplasty: This procedure addresses bone deformities and relieves pain associated with spinal compression fractures. It is done by inserting a tube into the desired vertebra and inflating a balloon within. Cement is injected into the created cavity, the balloon is removed, and the cement hardens.
- Scoliosis Treatment: This may entail exercise, hormone replacement or physical therapy, increasing certain vitamin intake, bracing, pain medication, or a type of lumbar fusion therapy.
- Disc Replacement: This surgery involves removing a damaged spinal disc and replacing it with an artificial one.
- Spinal fusion: This major surgery serves to stabilize sections of the spine. The doctors can connect vertebrae and secure them in a desired position, which ultimately will allow them a chance to fuse.
- Removal of spinal tumors: This may or may not involve the removal of any bone that has been damaged by the tumor, in which case it will also be necessary to reinforce the spine.
- Computer navigation techniques: Dr. Josey & Dr. Moghimi use the latest in computer technology to “see” inside the joints, ensuring accuracy during surgery.
- Medication: Our doctors may prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs, analgesics, or other medication to help you.
- Rehabilitation: A proper rehabilitation program is essential to recovery from back injury or surgery.
- Injections: Used to alleviate back pain from herniated discs or joints, epidural steroids or facet joint injections are injected directly in the problem area for the purpose of calming inflammation around the nerves. Lower extremity injections can also help Dr. Josey and Dr. Moghimi determine the source of your back pain.
- Back and Neck Braces: External structural support in the form of braces may benefit your spinal disorder or deformity. These represent a safe, non-invasive treatment option.
Thank you so very much for all you have done for me. Really there are no words to express my gratitude for helping me to walk again.
Spine Surgery Conditions
Adept in the medical and surgical treatment of the spine, Dr. Josey & Dr. Moghimi are able to treat numerous spine conditions of the cervical, lumbar, and thoracic regions of the back. Their expertise in spine surgery at Orthopaedic Specialists of Austin spans the areas of trauma, degenerative conditions, spinal deformity, tumors, and infection.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Compression Fractures
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Herniated Disc (Thoracic/lumbar)
- Intervertebral Cages
- Low Back Pain
- Sacroiliac Joint Syndrome
- Scheuermann's Kyphosis
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spinal Tumors
The most ideal treatment begins with a prompt and precise diagnosis. When more than a physical exam is needed, Orthopaedic Specialists of Austin will determine whether a form of spine surgery at our Austin practice is appropriate. We employ the following advanced diagnostic tests and radiological imaging:
- Bone Scan
- CT Scan
- Electromyogram (EMG)
- Facet Joint Block
- Lab Test
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Spinal Tap
- Somatosensory Evoked Potential (SSEP)
Learn More about Spine Surgery
Early diagnosis and treatment are critical, especially if your orthopedic issue requires spine surgery. If you reside in Austin or any of the other communities throughout Travis County and the rest of Central Texas, please contact the team at Orthopaedic Specialists of Austin to schedule your appointment.